Top 10 best books on cat health and care (Updated 2020)
As an Amazon/CHEWY Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
When it comes to an independent, curious, and adventurous pet like a cat, ensuring that it stays fit, healthy, and free from injuries can sometimes be challenging. After all, you cannot rush your kitty to the vet for every small health issue. A high-quality guide for cat health and care can be extremely useful in such situations.
In this article, we list some of the best books on cat health and care, based on the survey and feedback from numerous pet parents and experts. These books provide useful information and easy-to-follow tips, tricks, and advice for at-home care of felines.
Whether you are a longtime pet owner or a newbie, you would find these books as excellent resources for providing everyday care to your kitty (and some of them work well for dogs, too!). And many of them are available in different formats – Paperback, Kindle, or Audiobook, so you can pick the most suitable format for your liking.
Do not forget to check out our article on the best cat training guides if you are looking for additional resources on your feline’s routine care. And if you are looking for some homemade cat nutrition resources, check our article on the best cat food cookbooks.
Best books on cat health and care list
Some of the best books on cat health and care available in the market are listed below:
* These books and guides are not a replacement for qualified veterinary consultation. Please consult your vet when necessary.
Which are the best books on cat health and care?
ASPCA Complete Cat Care Manual
Year of Publication: Illustrated Edition, April 2006.
- This practical cat health and care guide is authored by the noted cat behaviorist Dr. Bruce Fogle and further expanded by Dr. Andrew Edney and published by DK Publishing. The manual is endorsed by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
- In 190 concise pages, this book provides detailed information on the common physical and behavioral health issues as well as day-to-day care of kittens and adult cats.
- The book covers feeding, training, handling, exercising, essential equipment, and grooming of cats of all ages. It also offers clear and concise advice on handling common emergencies and injuries.
- All the medical and emergency information is well supported by anatomical diagrams, diagnostic charts, and illustrations to help identify symptoms and treatments.
- Written primarily for beginner cat parents, although experienced pet parents can also use it for a quick reference.
Cat Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook
Year of Publication: Third Edition, December 2007.
- This best-selling pet care guide is authored by Dr. Debra M. Eldredge, Dr. Liisa D. Carlson, Dr. Delbert G. Carlson, Dr. James M. Giffin, and edited by Beth Adelman for Howell Book House. A popular, authoritative reference for over 25 years.
- In over 650 pages, the fully-revised and updated fourth edition provides up-to-date and accurate information on how to take care of your kittens and cats at all ages and stages of life – from pediatric to geriatric.
- Although written primarily for experienced and academic-minded pet parents, the book presents the information in an easy-to-understand manner supported by illustrations and diagrams.
- This book is a great resource to identify when it is time to visit the vet and what data to capture to help with the diagnosis.
Cat Facts: The Pet Parents A-to-Z Home Care Encyclopedia
Year of Publication: Illustrated Edition, December 2015.
- This complete pet owner encyclopedia for cats is also authored by award-winning pet author, journalist, and certified animal behavior consultant Dr. Amy D. Shojai and published by the Furry Muse Publication. Winner of the Muse Medallion and Best Cat Health Book by Cat Writers’ Association and often touted as “The Perfect Cat Book.”
- In over 540 pages, the book covers common conditions, symptoms, terminology, procedures, and information on routine care, injuries, and ailments that a pet parent needs to know. Also covers emergencies such as choking, bleeding, trauma, and poisoning.
- Overall, the book has over 200 entries, including a chart of symptoms and conditions they may indicate. Each entry also offers actionable advice on first aid, veterinarian and holistic treatments, and preventive care for that condition.
- The content is well supported by over 150 cute cat photos and illustrations. For easy reference, the book also has a comprehensive, easy-to-use index at the end, along with contact information for dozens of cat organizations and veterinary resources.
A–Z of Cat Health and First Aid
Year of Publication: First Edition, April 2015.
- This complete cat home reference guide is authored by the renowned veterinarian, Dr. Andrew Gardiner, and published by Souvenir Press. The second edition has been fully revised and updated to include the latest information.
- In 250 odd pages, this guide provides professional-quality medical advice on diagnosing and handling common felines diseases and disorders in cats of all life stages – from pediatric to geriatric. The book also covers information on common injuries and first-aid.
- The information is arranged in quick-reference alphabetical order and expressed in an easy-to-follow format, well-supported by line drawings, photographs, and illustrations where necessary.
- Each ailment clearly spells out the background information needed to understand the causes of any problem, their urgency, and an outline of the treatment approach likely to be used by the vet.
- Overall, it is a useful reference guide to consult before visiting a vet, especially for experienced pet parents.
The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats
Year of Publication: First Edition, March 2001.
- This definitive dog first aid guide is authored by renowned pet care expert and behaviorist Amy D. Shojai – award-winning author of over 25 best-selling pet books. This First-Aid Guide is her most popular pet health books.
- In over 440 pages, the first aid guide covers basic techniques to handle injuries and emergencies. The book also offers a checklist on how to make a pet-friendly first-aid and medicine kit.
- The first-aid and emergency information is organized into alphabetical order for quick reference and well-supported by simple checklists and sketches.
- Suitable for both cats and dogs. Despite published in 2001, the book offers accurate and useful information, advice, and tips ideal for current times.
- Ami Shojai has also authored two popular cat care books for specific feline life stages – Complete Care for Your Aging Cat and Complete Kitten Care.
New Choices in Natural Healing for Dogs & Cats
Year of Publication: Second Edition, September 2016.
- This holistic care and alternative medicine pet health guide is authored by Dr. Amy D. Shojai and published by Furry Muse Publishing. The current edition, an expanded and enhanced version of her popular alternative and complementary medicine guide on the same subject.
- In 460+ pages, the book covers all the latest advancements and employable holistic medicine techniques, natural healing, home remedies, and other non-traditional approaches to vet care.
- The book covers both physical illnesses as well as behavioral and emotional concerns without going into too much depth. It offers over 1000 remedies to handle pet ailments and emergency situations.
- The content is suitable for both cats and dogs, although some remedies and dietary recommendations may apply to either breed.
The Ultimate Pet Health Guide
Year of Publication: First Edition, August 2017.
- This best-selling comprehensive pet health care guide is authored by a renowned holistic veterinarian and scientist, Dr. Gary Richter, and published by Hay House Inc.
- In 430 detailed pages, the book offers a multifaceted, integrative medicine approach (conventional + non-traditional) to handling common pet health issues – including allergies, skin conditions, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Suitable for both cats and dogs.
- The book offers practical and effective approaches to diagnosis, management, and therapy of common pet conditions using traditional and non-traditional treatments.
- In addition to healthcare advice, the book also has over 50 holistic homemade recipes – both raw and cooked, with detailed instructions (a few recipes are only suitable for dogs).
The Nature of Animal Healing
Year of Publication: Paperback Edition, June 2000. Hardcover edition, 1999.
- This holistic medicine and natural healing pet care guide is authored by Dr. Martin Goldstein, one of America’s most successful, renowned holistic veterinarian.
- In this exhaustive 350+ page guide, the author covers all aspects of pet care and ailment treatment using alternative medicine techniques and diet adjustments.
- The content is divided into three sections – understanding diseases, taking action, and understanding the spiritual side of pets. Suitable for both dogs and cats.
- The book also offers specific guidance for the use of herbs, supplements, and natural remedies for curing pet conditions.
- All the information is presented in a clear, concise, and compassionate manner, well-supported by anecdotes from the author’s own experience of over 2 decades.
Dr. Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats
Year of Publication: Fourth Edition, March 2017.
- This traditional masterpiece is authored by Richard H. Pitcairn and Susan Hubble Pitcairn. Dr. Pitcairn was the founder of Animal Natural Health Center in Oregon and a pioneer in utilizing holistic methods and homeopathy in treating animals.
- This book has been the go-to resource for health-conscious animal lovers who believe in holistic care and nutrition for over 30 years.
- In 500 detailed pages, the book is tailored towards providing a holistic homemade diet to dogs and cats without using any commercial products.
- The fourth edition has been updated with the latest information in natural pet health, including groundbreaking research on the benefits of vegan diets for pets and making nutritionally complete food for pets.
- The book also offers useful insights into emotional and behavioral well-being, general nutrition, and a humane approach to caring for pets.
Veterinary Secrets: Natural Health for Dogs and Cats
Year of Publication: First Edition, May 2014.
- This another popular holistic pet care guide is authored by former practitioner vet and natural healthcare expert Dr. Andrew T. Jones. The book is published by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform.
- In 460 odd pages, the book provides comprehensive yet easy-to-follow information on non-traditional and natural pet care, with only limited reliance on conventional medicine.
- The book also offers over 1000 safe, natural, and effective remedies for the most common dog and cat health problems – both physical and behavioral.
- The book also presents a glimpse into Dr. Jones’ transformation from a traditional medicine vet to a non-traditional care provider and expert. The book is supported by some additional supplementary material on the author’s website.
Additional Resources for cat health and care
In addition to the best books on cat health and care listed above, there are some other excellent online resources that provide the latest information and tips and tricks for home care and remedies. These resources are listed below:
- Veterinary Partner Portal: The premier online resource to provide pet-owners, veterinarians, and common people with the information and tools to provide proper care to their pets. Affiliated with the 30-year old VIN.com – an online professional vet organization. VIN also provides a less formal client education blog called VetzInsight.
- ACVS Small Animal Portal: American College of Veterinary Surgeons (ACVS) is the AVMA-recognized specialty board that sets the standards for advanced professionalism in veterinary surgery and provides veterinarian certification. The ACVS small animal portal provides essential information and advice on major health issues in cats, dogs, and other pets in an alphabetically-indexed format.
- Washington State University Pet Health Topics Portal: Managed by the Washington State University College of Veterinary Science, this portal provides useful information about when to seek veterinary care and how to talk to your veterinarian about your pet’s healthcare needs.
- ASPCA Cat Care Portal: The website of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). Offers a wide range of cat health and behavior tips that help pet parents and caregivers provide the best possible care to their feline companions.
- HealthCare for Pets YouTube Channel: A popular YouTube channel with some excellent videos on how to handle everyday care as well as emergencies.
Also, check out the following video on some useful cat first aid tips to get you started. If you are looking for a fully-stocked pet first aid kit, check our article on the best pet first-aid kits.
How to pick the best book on cat health and care for your needs?
Picking the best cat health care guide is not much different from picking up any other pet training guide. The best cat care book is the one that fulfills most of your requirements and provides accurate information on routine care and emergencies in an easy-to-follow manner.
Just like any other pet training materials, no single book may be sufficient. You may need a combination of resources- both online and offline to cover all aspects of handling pet emergencies and at-home feline care. Moreover, these books are not a replacement for qualified veterinary consultations, and you should always contact a vet in case the situation worsens.
Without going into too much detail, the major factors you should consider while picking the best book for cat health and care are listed below:
- Primary Purpose and Type of Content
- Level and format of the book
- Popularity, reviews, and ratings
- Publication year of the edition
Primary Purpose and Type of Content
The primary purpose of a feline health and care guide is an important factor as it governs the type of information, advice, and support you can get from the book.
In our list, we have covered four broad categories of cat health guides:
- Books that cover the basics of cat health and care: This is probably the most popular category for cat care guides because of their hands-on writing styles. These books offer basic, easy-to-follow information on everyday pet care as well as handling emergencies without going too much into medical details. These books are perfect for novices and first-type dog owners. ASPCA Complete Cat Care Manual and Cat Facts: The Pet Parents A-to-Z Home Care Encyclopedia are two such guides.
- Books on cat first aid and emergency care: These books are primarily meant to handle injuries and other emergency situations such as dehydration, allergies, and rashes. Many of these books are also suitable for felines. The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats and A–Z of Cat Health and First Aid are two such books.
- Books on home-remedies and holistic health care for pets: These books focus on holistic and non-traditional approaches to pet care including home remedies and natural healing. New Choices in Natural Healing for Dogs & Cats and Pitcairn’s Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats are two of the most popular books in this category.
- Advanced books on cat health and care: These books are more comprehensive and detailed and primarily meant for experienced pet parents. They are also helpful in identifying the situations in which veterinary consultation is necessary and the main things to capture before opting for a vet consultation. Cat Owner’s Home Veterinary Handbook is one advanced reference to consider.
Depending upon your primary purpose and requirements, you can pick the best book for cat health and care. It is always a good idea to choose a couple of books from different categories.
Level and format of the book
The level and format of the book is also something to check out before picking the best book for cat health and care.
The format of the information presented in the book is also something to check out. Almost all the books that we have listed above have an easy-to-follow style filled with illustrations, anecdotes, and clear and concise instructions, so you can pick one based on your experience level as a pet owner (it is one of our main selection criteria).
You would not have any issues following the information, advice, or suggestions presented in our selection. Still, you can utilize the “Look Inside” feature on the Amazon website to get a preview of the book. You can also check for excerpts for the book in Google online bookstore to determine if the presentation style is suitable for you.
Furthermore, if you prefer digital editions, then check if the book is available in Kindle format for easy access. Kindle editions are generally cheaper, too, and also available with the Kindle Unlimited service.
Popularity, Reviews, and Ratings
The popularity of the author, publisher, and book is often a great indicator of how the book would turn out to be.
After all, most pet parents prefer a pet health guide that can answer most of their questions and provide quick, actionable information. Most of the books listed above have been written by veterinarians and experts and edited by publishers with considerable experience in the field of everyday feline care, emergencies and health, so you can trust the information given in them.
Still, as one size does not fit all, you should look at the reviews, especially by other experts and authors in the field. Check out the reviews on Amazon and platforms such as GoodReads by other readers to determine its suitability.
Publication year of the edition
When it comes to cat health and care, the publication year of the current edition is as important as, if not more, as in the case of other pet training guides. While the fundamentals might not have changed, many advancements have been made in the past decade, especially in the field of conventional veterinary science.
So check the publication year of the books and see that none of them are from the previous century, especially before picking the best books on modern everyday feline health and care. Of course, traditional best-sellers in holistic care, feline first aid, and emergency care such as The First-Aid Companion for Dogs & Cats are still quite accurate and relevant and can be considered as suitable choices.
Keep all these factors in mind before picking the best book (or books) on cat health and care.
Final Thoughts on the best books on cat health and care
Every pet parent wants to ensure a healthy and happy life for their beloved pet(s). However, consulting a vet for minor health issues and everyday care is not always possible (and not always economically viable). A good cat care guide is a perfect resource to refer to for such advice.
In this article, we listed some of the best books on cat health and care, authored by renowned vets, pet nutritionists, and feline care experts in the field.
Although they are not replacements for qualified veterinary consultation, these books provide some excellent information, tips, and tricks for complete at-home care of your felines (and some work for small animals, dogs, and horses, too!).
We also shared some additional resources to take care of your beloved pet and handle injuries and emergency situations.
We hope you found this article useful, and it would help you pick the best cat health care book or guide for your kitty. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until next time, Happy Catification!!
Image credits: Amazon.com